Thursday, January 9, 2014

Gyms: Fashion shows or Fitness centers?

There's a running stereotype about gyms:  People go to preen and show off their hot bods and pick up other hot people.  Gyms are often used as a sexual networking site, whether it's the generation of turquoise spandex or see-through Lululemon yoga pants.  And it kind of makes sense....you see how much stamina someone has, what they look like sweaty, and just how flexible they are.  But anyway!  That sort of thing does nothing for me (and hi, I'm married), and I'm sure many other people feel the same way.

I chose my gym because it's independently owned, right around the corner, and 24/7.  I was very lucky to be paired with my trainer.  We've said for years what a serendipitous match we are.  When I go there on my own, I never feel like anybody's staring.  There are many cute men and women that attend my gym, and no one really interacts much unless they're over by the free weights.  I love that no one pays much attention!  You can just go there in mismatched baggy or tight workout clothes (as long as they're clean and decent), and do your moves without worrying about judgment. 

I have worn quite the random ensembles, and lately I've realized that I need to wear tank tops if I'm going to be doing cardio.  I hate the feeling of excess material covering my upper body as I sweat.  This means that I need to have enough confidence to show off my arms and belly.  Normally, I don't care about my arms, and I wear my wide tanks that I bought years ago.  Today?  I grabbed the first thing from my drawer, felt how the tank clung to every ripple, looked in the mirror, and shrugged.  I bundled up in my peacoat, ran out in the 30-something degree weather, and let the jiggle fly on the treadmill.  

When I looked in the mirror after my workout, I felt accomplished as always.  I know I still have a spare tire that's ever so slowly deflating, but the trimming has begun.  I don't care if there's anyone there who is grossed out or offended by my confidence.  I wouldn't run around in public without a coat or hoodie in this top at this point in my life, but I feel like my work is starting to show.  I'm happy to be in a gym that emphasizes personal growth and strength and not just aesthetics.  

You don't know how hard it is to take a selfie of your back.  But I'm just so proud of how it's been shaping and looking less flat and wide!  And I'll admit it, I love showing off my tats.

And then I turn around.  And the flat illusion is gone.  HA!  Hey, if I can jog in front of people in this clingy tank, then I can post this picture.  MOTIVATION.

But now the collarbone is slowly emerging as I smile, so no complaints!  My upper half always shrinks faster than the middle.  And let me tell you-  this is the most narrow the middle has been in more than 10 years!  

I never thought I'd be posting sloppy post-workout pictures of myself on the internet.  It's actually very freeing!  My gym has been very supportive of me and even posted the picture of me with the potatoes on their Facebook page.  I may not be one of the traditionally toned and sexy people, but I feel good knowing that they accept and encourage everyone in their individual goals.  It's ok to be sloppy while working towards long term goals and self confidence.  Anyone who just sees the outside isn't worth knowing anyway.  

2 comments:

  1. Chrissi, you are a great writer and an inspiration. Be proud of who you are. You are beautiful, loved, and loving. I applaud your journey and your honesty. I've never known that gyms were hookup places....(maybe because I am old and married, and no guys look at me anymore!) but I just go an do my own workout....I do it for me, not for anyone else. Keep it up! I love how you are doing this will love and compassion for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Susan!! All your support means so much to me....just trying to live a long healthy life with L and for myself. :-)

      Delete