Monday, April 21, 2014

The Never-ending Paranoia, or An Afternoon with my Grandmother

Sunday was Easter, which means family get-together.  I have barely any blood relatives left, and only my maternal grandmother lives nearby.  My husband has a big family, and his mom's side are all local.  His parents asked if we wanted to bring my grandmother and have Easter at their house with his brother and his girlfriend.  Sounds good, less driving, less leftovers to tempt me in our house.  We've gotten together for a few holidays by this point, so it's a lot more relaxed.  I was pretty much breezing through the weekend.  

Until it came time to pick out my outfit.

I'm going to admit right now that part of the stress was because I hadn't kept up on the laundry and I should have figured this out the night before.  I started trying on outfits with an hour to spare.  I asked my husband to come upstairs so he could tell me whether or not it would be an outfit my nan would judge.

(Please let me emphasize that she's actually a smart, hard working, sassy, hilarious woman with a huge heart.  This is just a bitching post.)  

Yes, this is something I always worry about anymore.  And this is another topic for another day, but she helped contribute to my adolescent weight gain by letting me eat whatever I wanted when she was watching me on the weekends.  She had a weight problem herself (it's part of the reason my SOB grandfather left her).  My grandparents made my mother paranoid about her weight and the way she looked, and she in turn passed that on to me.  I used to do the most ridiculous things in high school as I would yank on my thighs and do exercises in my room from Seventeen magazine and sit in front of the mirror in shorts so I could make sure cellulite didn't show.  As I gained weight into my 20s, I wore big ugly clothes and didn't know how to flatter my size.  When I started watching What Not to Wear, I had the revelation that clothes that fit well make you look better!  But I come from the family that insists that baggy loose clothing of the Dorothy Zbornak collection will hide your weight.

I used to panic about how I looked in front of my husband's family.  Now, I don't worry so much.  They are very athletic and slender people, and they are very supportive of my lifestyle change and weight loss.  It took 40 pounds and me opening my mouth for my grandmother to start making any positive comments.  Those comments were mostly along the line of "you're shaping up well."  I'll take it, ok?

When my fashion choices started veering into the dress territory, my grandmother suddenly had a lot of opinions.  My wedding time period was torture.  She still bitches about the dress I wore to my wedding shower.  Look, I know it wasn't the most flattering, and my spanx were obviously showing in pictures.  And yes, my ripples could not be tamed.



I get it, ok?  It really wasn't the best purchase, but I thought it was cute and reminiscent of the Julia Roberts horse racing dress in Pretty Woman.  But stop freakin' bringing it up!!  I also wore a cute red dress to the rehearsal dinner.  Once again, it was around the same length, and she kept whispering at me how she didn't like the dress and how I should not be wearing stuff like that.  Then I got all decked out in my wedding dress the next day (and I don't need to post pix, you've seen plenty if you follow this blog), and she never once told me I looked beautiful or pretty.  And she had ample time to do so.  I was never so hurt by her.  I think she said something during our first dance (yes, I did a grandmother-granddaughter dance to Here Comes the Sun as my parents have passed), but that was it.

I was more worried about my outfit this past Sunday than I was about cooking the main course.  I ended up wearing one of my new dresses (despite knowing it would be a casual atmosphere) and broke every rule of hers:

-My hair was pulled back (and it desperately needs a trim).
-My arms were showing with no cover-up.
-The dress was just above the knees.
-No makeup as always.
-Every single one of my tattoos were showing (at least she didn't notice my new one).

And I think I looked adorable.


I ended up spending most of my time in the kitchen so I could do the ham (seriously, my recipe is amazing) and so I could chat with my mother-in-law since it had been awhile.  My nan was cool with that, she's very social and adaptable.  But she managed to attack me for my physical behavior three times.

1.  I bent over to pet the dogs.  Yes, I would have squatted if anyone else was in the room, but no one else was there.  Of course I had to get snapped at with the hand motion that you can see right up my dress.


2.  She was standing in the kitchen doorway while my husband was there.  I had to bend over to open the oven and manipulate the heavy pot, and of course I had to hear about the back of my skirt again.  I gave up and just let my husband and mother-in-law handle that part.


3.  Later, I was sitting behind the end of the counter.  My mother-in-law was in front with her back to me.  I had my left leg crossed over kind of lazily.  I'm not stupid....if someone came around, I would have dropped my leg.  My grandmother magically appeared in the doorway and told me with hand motions yet again to uncross my leg.  I ended up snapping at her, and I really feel bad that my mother-in-law had to witness that (though she pretended like it wasn't even happening).  


I was spared for the rest of the night, but I was so self-conscious.  I know how to not flash the goods, despite what those wedding shower spanx pictures show (for the record, I had my legs together as tightly as possible that day.)  

All my nan kept talking about on the way home was how she's made an effort to clean up her mouth to be a better person.  She's converted to Catholicism and just had to do penance on Holy Thursday.  She emphasized how ladies just sound awful when they talk like sailors, especially the older they get.  She went on about how her mother would have been so disappointed in her.



Mind you, I have a potty mouth around those I'm comfortable with, but I also know how to NOT SPEAK LIKE A SAILOR, OK I GOT THE HINT.  


I don't need to be told how to be a "proper lady," whatever the fuck that is.


I know she's 85 and stuck in her ways and ideas about etiquette and how women should act and look.  I know I should just ignore it and brush it off my shoulders.  



But when she's pretty much the only blood family member I have left, it's kind of hard to do that.  Especially when she started sounding exactly like my mother.  Oh man am I glad it's a therapy week.  

If we have a child, I don't want to give him or her any of my body confidence issues.  I want to get healthy and fit now so I could be an active and fun mother who doesn't worry about her looks in front of her child.  But at the same time, I'm afraid that what I knew and grew up with will slip out.  I know it's a common fear.

I just wish that I didn't feel like a nervous 15 year old at 33 years old.  I wish I could just "let it go," but there's often that innate need to "please" your parent.  I hate how I feel like a defensive child when she's around.  I love her so much, but she's driving me crazy.  I want to feel comfortable and excited about my weight loss without hearing someone say, "Good, you have to do it while you're young or you'll never get rid of the stomach."  Thanks, I had no idea.  Sigh.

Anyone else have family members that constantly nitpick about the stupidest things in regards to your appearance?

11 comments:

  1. My family of more of the "we make fun of each other out of love" variety, and I still find the little comments hurtful. I don't think we ever grow out of it, really :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting...it's absolutely hurtful no matter what. It's like the domino effect....they went through it, so now we go through it. Very frustrating!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom. *sigh* when I was younger she only ever picked on styles, which was fine. I'm glad she didn't let 10 yr old me dress like Madonna when I wanted to. But as we've aged, my mom has taken the gloves off. She has specific things she picks on, but for me lately, its all about my weight and the fit of my clothes. (she picks on my sisters hair, mostly I guess because her weight gain is less obvious than mine). It gets very old. Mostly I just get pissed and wear whatever it is anyway. But it doesn't help with my own self image which is horrible right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how that would get old. It's like there's no pleasing them. I hear you with "taking the gloves off." I feel that's what my grandmother has done as well. I'm glad you still insist on being yourself, but it doesn't make it any less hurtful, I know. Thank you for opening up. <3

      Delete
  5. Somehow none of us can completely extricate ourselves from our formative years. My mother until the day she died eye balled me and evaluated my entire appearance everyday. My sister Coleen does it as well unconsciously but I totally recognize it when someone does it to me. Years of therapy has helped but how I look when I go out the door still matters and probably always will. At the end of the day Chris you have to be yourself and try to ignor what you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting and for the advice. It sucks to feel like you're always under the watchful nitpicking eye, no matter how much they love you. I purposely rebel against what she says (I suppose that's my way of ignoring), but her criticism is always going to echo in my subconscious. Therapy is a gift, that's for sure.

      Delete
  6. I think you looked great at your shower and now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never forgot the day my dad called me a "porker". He was joking after hearing of my weight my doctors appointment that day. I was 12 and immediately lost it, crying, yelling, smacking at his hand when he reached out to comfort me. He apologized profusely, citing his own size, but it didn't make me feel any better. Wasn't too long after that that I pretty much gave up on eating. Swore off meat, fried foods, etc. started living off carefully measured out Cheerios and breath mints. Did you know that when you aren't eating your breath gets terrible?? The next few years he certainly couldn't call me a porker, but even though I was a thin teenager I never saw myself that way. Even now after losing some of the weight I put on in college (actually pretty much all the weight, I'm almost down to the weight I was in highschool), I still have trouble seeing myself as "thin". No matter what size me clothes are I still see my less than flat stomach, my un-toned arms, every other part of me I can pick apart. I'm certainly not as self concious as I was during my more formative years, but man do those old habits die hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering I knew you best during those high school days, yeah....you were definitely thin. It never appeared unhealthy, but I didn't know that's what you were going through (and why would I?). I don't understand how parents can say cruel flippant things like that to their children. Like you said, those were your formative years- the most self-conscious, you're growing and changing and hormonal, and then to hear untrue things like that? It sticks with you. One thing is for sure, your current healthy lifestyle with eating, running, quitting smoking (I thought you did, yes?) is absolutely awesome and inspiring. Like I have to tell L, a starved stomach is way worse than a non flat stomach. You are doing so many great things for yourself now, and I hope that the little voice can at least quiet down in the back of your brain.

      Delete