Monday, May 19, 2014

Stress Eating: Then and Now

I really don't feel like going into it, but I'm going through the second most stressful time period of my adult life right now.  Normally when I feel stress, I give in to comfort eating.  And ohhhh the comfort foods in my life...these are the foods I can't really have often otherwise I will turn into a ravenous monster and nom them all down.  Let's list them so they're just out there in the open:

-Fried chicken.  None of that breaded crap, FRIED.
-Stromboli.  You give me anything smothered with mozzarella and tomato sauce, and I'm a goner
-Chicken Parmesan.  The unhealthy versions that are fried and with pasta.
-Cheese fries.  They're oh so terrible and oh so delicious.
-Pastry.  Cake, donuts, cinnamon buns, my cupcakes....evil.
-Pasta.  I could live on pasta with any kind of sauce or veggie or meat.  Unfortunately, it lives on my ass.
-Herrs Cheese Curls.  I will eat three servings in a blink of an eye, and that's the calorie equivalent of a meal.
-Soft Pretzels.  Worst thing in the world for me to eat.  Why are they so delicious?  So Philly.

These are my special treats.  I don't deny myself, but I REALLY have to watch myself around them.

I have been eating weirdly these past couple weeks.  I have been trying to integrate my every-meal-vegetable, but I've often been skipping meals.  Then I've been making up for it calorie-wise in one huge dinner.  So while my caloric numbers aren't tipping too terribly, I've been balancing the food terribly.  And while the calories may be within range, the fat hasn't been.  I'm trying to look at the whole picture here, and I'm trying to cleanse myself this week.  I'm going to be eating dinner at really strange late hours, but I have to make them light meals with a good post-work snack.

I was so proud of myself for not giving in to stress and even not wanting to eat.  But then, of course, it catches up.  And I didn't make the best decision for both dinners this weekend....

KFC.  Kentucky Fried Chicken.  I don't even like it that much, but it's fried chicken.  My stomach is still begging for mercy and trying to expunge everything.  Yet, I had it 2 days in a row.  Allow me to quote the movie So I Married An Axe Murderer regarding the love/hate relationship I have with Colonel Sanders.

  (I made that myself...I'm so proud)

It was good.  Not great.  I've had better.  I had a few potato wedges and tons of chicken.  They also have a deal where they give you a free chocolate or lemon pound cake if you get the 10+ piece bucket.  Yeah, so I also had half a slice each night.  It wasn't that great.  If my husband won't touch it, I'm throwing it out.

Now my body is retaining salt.  If I could prick a hole in my body and let all that retention shoot out, I so would.  Did I mention I had a Mountain Dew and barely drank water?  Add that brominated vegetable oil to the above list....

I just want to scream.  I know backsliding is inevitable, but how did I think that was a good idea for 2 days?!  I've been physically active those two days, but STILL!  

I need to make a plan.  I need to keep my body healthy during this stressful time period otherwise I'm going to destroy my health and sanity in so many ways.

My weight gain came flying back when my mother died in December 2010.  I'm not going to let this current stress affect me the same way.  I can't.  I've come too far and worked too hard and feel too good.  I need emotional support around me.  My husband and best friends are amazing, but I really do need to know that I can get through this extremely rough patch without sabotaging myself.  If you could shoot me a positive vibe right now, that would be extremely lovely.

Thanks everyone for reading, as always.  

9 comments:

  1. As usual you kick ass. Knowing and being aware of the weekend"fail" I'd a great place too start. And remember that it is just that, a temporary mess up. It's really just a fail on the same level as choosing the wrong check out at the grocery store and being late to _________. It has slightly crappier results (weight gain or lack of loss), but the results are fixable. You'll get through not only the hiccups, but whatever is causing them. You've been through worse. You've got this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thank you! The good thing is that I'm recovering from these hiccups faster than I used to. I just don't really have a need or taste for junk or fast food too much anymore....I just don't want to go overboard when I do! *hugs*

      Delete
  2. I'm no expert, and I'm going through the process of weight loss my self. But my best advice is what has worked for me over the past year in regards to stress eating: supplement with a healthy option and indulge without self resentment. I work really hard not to stress eat since I know it's my downfall. Instead I supplement with healthy low cal homemade baked goods, tazo calming tea, or distract myself with something active. The last part is not hating on yourself for the indulge meal. The occasional KFC in your case, pizza or bagels in mine, isn't going to ruin your progress. Keeping yourself from making it a habit is important, but so is accepting that in that moment your mind and body needed it and not being mad at yourself for it. It happened and will happen...and that's okay. Stay strong! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kara, seriously. I'm def trying to follow the "no self resentment" motto, and I always have green tea in my drawer at work. I should actually bake some of the healthy things I pin. :-) You're doing fabulously and will be a beautiful bride no matter what. We all have our downfalls, we're working hard not to make them habits- that is definitely important. Thank you for the encouragement and support!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful to hear that you have learned a lot this past weekend. Yes, you know have alternatives to eating when stressed.....smoothies! Walking. Reading a book. snuggling. I am so proud of you for not telling yourself, "Oh, I ruined everything! See, I can't do it. I might as well just stuff my face for the rest of your life". At this point in your life, you are better than that.

    And at some point in time we really have to meet in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, that's what I would tell myself in the old days. Or, Oh I'll just start for real tomorrow, one last "big" treat. I just don't want to undo everything I've worked so hard for- this time it's been work. Weight Watchers was not work, and that's why that weight loss packed back on so fast.

      I fully agree, I have met none of the MA Gurrys, and I would love to meet you!!

      Delete
  5. Great post. I have had a hella stressful week at work and usually when I get home on Friday after such a week I would say "let's go to KFC!!!!" and eat all of it. All the chicken. It takes a lot of self-awareness and control to stop that. Proud of you for owning it and not beating yourself up about it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope things turn around for you soon. You seem like a really strong person. I'm rooting for you. I definitely struggle with stress eating too, so I feel your pain. Just keep being kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete