Sunday, January 12, 2014

"I already have a drink...do you think he'll buy me mozzarella sticks?"

The Golden Globes are tonight, and I am a sucker for awards shows.  I'm just a pop culture junkie, even though I don't go to see movies in the theatre as much as I would like anymore.  The Golden Globes in particular are a blast because there's alcohol at all the tables, and the celebrities get increasingly drunk as the night progresses.  Last year, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler (AKA GODDESSES) hosted and essentially owned the entire night.  They have been asked to host again tonight and next year as well.

I mean...




And they even managed to upstage Neil Patrick Harris at the 2013 Emmys!

I have a bit of a hero worship for Tina Fey.  Her character of Liz Lemon on 30 Rock was eerily like me at times.  Her love of food, her need to be at home watching TV with extra carbs, her odd obsession with stationary stores, her need to be a non-traditional bride, and her penchant for impromptu dance parties....Liz Lemon is my TV soulmate.  I don't care for her bullying tendency and the fact that she doesn't surround herself with positive women, but I can overlook that in the well-developed character since Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are besties in real life and absolutely perfect and hilarious together.  I mean, I need this Busted Tees t-shirt:



I used to be quite a bit like Liz Lemon with my ravenous appetite. I still hate the running gag that characters like her and Grace Adler from Will & Grace can eat you out of house and home and still be thin as anything.  Damn you, TV.  But that's a topic for a later time.  Here are moments that I sadly related to for years (but I will still cut you if you take my sandwich):







And then you finally come to this realization...


Here's the most embarrassing of all for me:


I may never have unhinged my jaw to shotgun an entire pizza like Liz, but I came close one night.  I'm going to share one of my most embarrassing stories as an example of how my stomach was a never-ending pit for awhile there.

My husband's group of friends came over one night years ago, and they all really like junk food.  We ordered delivery from the nearby pizza pub, and I got a regular sized pepperoni and mushroom stromboli.  Their medium strombolis can easily be split between two people, especially since they're so rich.  I had a long day at work and had eaten lunch and everything, but I just really wanted the greasy cheesy delicious comfort.  I inhaled the entire stromboli in about 10 minutes and had a Weight Watchers ice cream sandwich in my hand after I threw the carton away.  I looked across the room and saw that the biggest guy in the room wasn't even close to being done his stromboli.

Now I will only get a stromboli once or twice a year as a special treat, and I immediately cut it in half so I can't be tempted for more.  
This is half the stromboli I had this past June.  My trainer almost had an aneurysm when she saw the estimated nutritional content on my diary sheets.  Stromboli and fried chicken are my two super special treat foods.  I was humiliated when I saw just how fast I could inhale food and barely even taste it.  I'm trying to enjoy and taste my food and not wonder when it's time for dessert.

This past year was really about breaking my habits, and I'm still learning balance and moderation.  I love Liz Lemon, but I don't have to "become" her.  I will forever love Tina Fey and hope that I can even accomplish a fraction of what she's done with her career.  One day at a time!    


No comments:

Post a Comment